Friday, August 14, 2009

14 Again

It really just happened by accident... This being 14 thing... It started when I got home and needed shoes.

I didn't pack shoes because I knew that I have a ton lying around here that would be snug but usable. So I dug. I dug through the Sketchers, the huge white Filas, and tattered Converse, until finally I found both of my hot pink laced black Etnies, Circa 2005. Begin transformation.

Step Two: I dug out my bright yellow Rex T-shirt That I haven't worn in years because I spilled wine on it.

Next Step: The Man Purse. The over-sized-for-practical-use, but perfect for my intentions, camoflaged, hand-decorated "purse" I bought from Target for $5 Circa 2006.

(((So maybe I'm more 15 again... which I don't mind... I loved that year)))

Optional Booster Course: The Pink, Leopard printed diary which starts in 2003. "No boy friends until AFTER 8th Grade!!!" Gosh Darn-it! "I don't like my friends!" "Donnie and I talked for THREE hours last night! :) :) " "OMG! Donnie talked for THREE WHOLE HOURS LAST NIGHT!" HAHAHA! I love this...

Current Phase: Today I am going cliff jumping with Ogilvie friends. The last time I went cliff jumping was in Canada with the Cramtons. Claire gave me her old pink swimsuit to use... again, this was 2006 at the latest. I will be using that same Swimsuit.

Most of the power is in the shoes for sure. Just like Cinderella (CURSE YOU GROVEN!)... Shoes are important. They are a part of your life for significant chunks. I remember buying those shoes, and how excited I was. I remember many adventures on which they accompanied me. When I was 16... 17... I cast them aside for the next new thing I thought I needed, while they still had life left in them!

So now I have a brand new pair of shoes, with only ONE little hole. They've been with me already, and they'll be with me again with new places to see and stories to tell.

I know that they are dorky, that they represent a part of me that wanted to fit in to the point of following fads... But I still like the shoes and that's part of what makes them so cool... Maybe it's symbolic of re-embracing my childhood for incorporation to today.

I am enjoying this.

Hopefully I will be able to make it through this week at this pace without inflicting serious damage on my soul.

TOM ROBBINS!

1 comment:

Denise said...

now you see why I can't get rd of my cowgirl boots.