Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sweater Weather

It's Chilly.
Throwing me off into thinking that it's Autumn. That soon, every day will be a sweater day, and we will be eating our breakfasts over the morning newspaper before our morning classes.

I didn't get the BEST of this cold day because I didn't wear a heavy enough sweater, or shoes with socks. I feel like I let some of this rare chill go to waste.

The day itself was magnificent though. Mom called at around three twenty am, and told me that Dad was on his way and aiming for four. I got to the smoking bench at three fifty, and hopped in the white van when my dad got here at four fifteen. We then drove the hour and a half to Stockholm, Wisconsin to the Stockholm Arts Festival. It has been months, and I dare say even years since I have actually gone to an Art show. I miss it. I miss it very much. I think that some of this might just be nursing my nostalgia, but I do think that some of it might be genuine.

The Art world is a great one. To set up your booth, with your hand crafted wares for people from all over to buy is a great experience. The most rewarding. I think that if we were able to hit more art shows, we would be successful. I don't know why my parents don't do that anymore...

So today I volunteered myself. I proclaimed that next summer I will come home and work on learning to throw on the wheel. If I start practicing now it's possible that I will be able to put out basic mugs, plates and bowls to be decorated. Maybe I can even start decorating. Then I will be the roadie for all the shows that my dad WILL apply for. If they trust me, I think that I could be sent on road trips to Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio and Michigan to work at art shows. It will be like old times, but I will be older and in charge. I want to be connected to that world, but I don't know if it's because I really want to or because I just want to be a kid again.

But if I do just want to be a kid again, what's so bad about that? I'll be a kid who does a little work to make money to get by. Isn't that everyone's dream?

And I fantasize about calling one of my close friends one day, and saying, "Hey You, are you up to anything two weeks from now? I have to do a show in Ohio, would you like to come along and help?" They would. Someone would have to from time to time, I don't think I could do it by myself, if simply because I am too short. Whatever the case, to be travelling around to art shows with my good friends sounds like a wonderful use of my time and energy.

Boston Mills, Ann Arbor, East Lansing, The Uptown... I will be a part of them once again.

Plus, I won't have to pay rent or worry too much about food all summer.

Right now it sounds ideal... but of course so did running away to Seattle last week.

I am interested to see how things turn out.

No comments: