Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Big Sky, Big Adventure!!!

I don't want to just blog when BIG things happen.

Yesterday Alan reprimanded my lax blogging habits, and today I got an email from Ali warning us of the shame we will face.

Spring Break was AWESOME.

The band went to Montana and back. A senior Oboe player, Kirsten, is from Montana, so we went to her home town. The trip followed basic patterns, wake up too early, get on a bus, play a concert or two or three, get on a bus, arrive at hotel, revel, go to sleep too late, repeat.

The first night I was pouting for lack of a good travel buddy, so I embarked on my own to explore Bismarck, North Dakota. When I had my fill, I started walking back, and I saw a fellow trumpet player who was also wandering alone, so I joined him and we explored even more!

When the band went to Romania last spring, my travel buddy and I would take off exploring even if we only had 10 minutes to call time. My buddy not being as enthusiastic this time through, I was left alone. Marrta also wasn't very enthusiastic. I had to take things into my own hands.

One of my biggest anxieties this year has been self confidence, and being able to hang out with the "cool kids." I don't need cool kids. I am a cool kid.

Red Lodge, one of the last towns we stopped at, was my favorite. We got there early in the afternoon, and had the rest of the day to ourselves! There were mountains, rivers, forests and sunshine. As soon as we got there, I packed my back pack with a sketchbook, camera, and journal, and some other things in case I needed them, and set out. On my way, I saw Steve. He asked what I was up to, and he came with.

We adventured until we found other people, joined for a while, and then embarked with fake Steve. We met a Poodle, and then we climbed a ridge to the North of town, where we found a van. We also found a play ground. When I got back, I was tired and ready for rest, but another group was heading out for a walk, and I joined them too! And when THAT group got back, another one went for a hike up the other ridge, and I joined. This time it was me, Erika, Fake Steve, Reed and Marty, and we climbed up the steepest way. There is still dirt in my shoes and scrapes on my knees.

At the top we saw a herd of 16 deer and an awesome springer-like dog named Alice introduced herself. Alice showed us the way down the ridge, and followed us part of the way back to the hotel until she found some of her friends.

By then it was dark, but that meant time to go out to see the stars! So another group got together and found a back road to lay on and see what stars look like in Big Sky Country. Very satisfying.

In the end, what I learned is that I don't always have to be the one asking if I can come along. In fact, it's almost more fun to BE asked.

Yay!

Every night on tour was a blast, and the very last I found a statue of a Rabbit with a saddle on it, which has always been a dream of mine.

Now I am back at Augsburg with a new take on life. I mean that. When I see band people who I might have just nodded to before, or casually taken out my cell phone, I say hello, I shake hands, I talk, I hug! I LOVE BAND.

It's not cool to love band, but I don't care.

I am feeling good about myself, and I am ready for the LAST month of Sophomore year. I can't believe it's here already.

1 comment:

佳怡 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.