Friday, June 25, 2010

My New Shoes and the Implications They Hold

Today, I impulsively bought a new pair of shoes.

I was on my way home from Stillwater visiting my mom at fiddle camp, and I pulled off at North Branch to look at a map. (This is after spending 2 hours the night before trying to get from Augsburg to Stillwater, which should really only take 30 minutes, driving my mom's white van with no cruise control and wonky visibility).

The road in North Branch spit me out right by the mall, so I stopped to see if the stores were open, they weren't, but after getting gas for the car and verifying my route home, they were.

I needed new shoes. The blue pair I bought with Rita in Seattle two years ago have never actually fit, and while they serve every practical function, they are worn and old. So I wanted to get a pair of shoes that could match my old pair's versatility.

I paced the aisles multiple times, until I finally settled on a pair of gray Vans with laces. In spite of all the justifications I had for buying them, all they are to me are another pair of tennis shoes.

They match the old pair in every function except for ease of slip-on-ability, and function in semi-formal wear.

I am having a hard time committing them to the role of everything shoes.

Another factor contributing to my disease is that this purchase reminds me of when I bought another pair of brand name shoes when I was a budding teenager. I really liked those shoes a lot, and they served me well... but I don't feel like a 14 year old anymore.

Anyway, I am obsessing over my shoes today. I will let you know if I become more positive about them. Otherwise, I just spent a bunch of money that could have been put to use elsewhere.

No comments: