Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Glamourous Life of Your Local Radio DJ

This morning, my alarm went off at 5:15. To my surprise, I was out of bed by 5:17, dressed, and out the door shortly thereafter. I felt really cool as I hauled my weary body into my car. Last night, when my parents returned from Stockholm, Wisconsin, they parked the van behind the little van, there was still space behind me to get out. As I backed up slowly, carefully avoiding hitting the van to my left, I ran into some trees and rocks to my right. I pulled forward and tried again, to the same result.

I finally steeled myself, knowing that I had to get to work, and that it would take too long to find the van keys and move it. One more time, I pulled forward, straightened out, and reversed. My left mirror hit the van, scratching it a little... a bit concerned about the repercussions of that one... Again, I got held up on the tree and rocks, but I kept going, tearing through the foliage and making it onto the road. In this process, I ran over a tree and something got tangled in my wheel. I figured that it would fall out on it's own if I kept driving.

It didn't, so at the bottom of the hill, I got out to inspect my situation. The whole panel in front of my right tire was ripped off, and dragging on the ground. Stuck in this panel was a whole tree! I took it out and threw it into the swamp, took off a huge chunk of loose foam, and tried to put the panel back kind of where it was. Then I progressed on my way.

I should feel bad about this aesthetic destruction of the little car, but I figure that since it is barely worth anything, and I will probably be the last person to own it, it doesn't quite matter... My mom might care. Eek.

On the way to Mora, I saw a young buck, and later a doe with a fawn. Awwww.

In Mora, I pulled into Holiday with 20 minutes before my shift. I am still feeling awesome, groggy in a hard core way. That's right, I am an early morning dj. Whoot! Zombie-esque, I ambled into the gas station, gathered two sausage egg and cheese sandwiches, and a 20oz cup of Holiday coffee... mmmm. "Caffeine!" she moaned through slack lips.

Then I got to KBEK.

Everything in the morning went very well. I remembered everything that I had to, and by the time things started getting treacherous, Colleen was down here to help me. Lucky thing too. The transmitter went out for a few minutes, and then when it came time to load and edit the Pease service, it wasn't there! Slight panic.

Colleen also brought me another cup of coffee.

I haven't been consuming much caffeine this summer, and my body is quite sensitive. I am still wired, but to the point of feeling ill. Since the Pease service didn't come through, the last couple hours have been easy as pie. Cambridge edited in no time, and now it's playing while I wait for my replacement. Mmmmm.

Rawr! I am a radio dj, awake with the sun, not bothered by material possessions, or their destruction, unphased by severe weather, riding the airwaves on the wings of caffeine drug, ready for anything, ready for action.


2 comments:

Casey said...

A whole tree? I've got an odd picture of that in my head now. Like you said, at least the car wasn't exactly in mint condition to begin with.

Prince Lily said...

It was a small tree... but a tree all the same.