Friday, October 8, 2010

Opportunities, and another week

Whooo hooooo! What a week.

Stressed out sobbing days, followed by days of studious bliss, repeated haphazardly...

Monday, Tuesday, WEDNESDAY.

After Senate on Wednesday, I walked up Riverside to the KFAI studios for the second time. It is pledge week, so I showed up to answer phones. "Doug the Thug" who I met at the Cedar concert told me that I could record a spot too, but that finished at 9... so I answered phones... and by that, I mean I answered one call and registered one pledge of $20. Still, it was a great time. I met some of the other KFAI staff people, and was encouraged further to come back.

One man told me about work in the Legacy project, which is the result of government funding to promote culture and HISTORY. He said it's a big deal, and that people have gone on to MPR to make BIG bucks. If I pursue this energetically, the possibilities are endless. And it's great because I didn't even have to sign up for a program, or try to get scholarships or anything, I just went to a concert, and now here it is!

I am going to go back next wednesday and see if I can actually record a spot, and from there maybe figure out what kind of volunteer work I can devote myself to once pledge drive is over.

Another person told me about community radio in Melbourne, Australia. I had overheard his discussion with another woman about Australian "Americana." He gave me the names of three radio stations in Melbourne, one is an AM activist station, and the others are music based. I have yet to really look into them.

This is extraordinary because I hope to go to MELBOURNE for six weeks next summer to study, and I will therefore HAVE to try to visit these stations. GEE WHIZ! Thinking about it is exciting. Topkat, who I talked to, through following Australian community radio told me that he could couch surf from the top of Australia to the bottom based on his radio connections.

I know radio! Not in a scholarly, or professional way by any means... but I have real experience, and that counts for something? KBEK just happened for me, and this opportunity seems to have fallen in my lap as well... perhaps the universe is gently nudging me towards my vocation?

*Deep Breath

Who knows.

I got into a funk on Thursday, but I am hoping that has cleared up for a while. Meh. I am busy, and am only going to get busier. It's nothing I haven't done before, but the hard part is living up to my own expectations.

One way to start is by camping out in the Honor's Suite on a Friday night reading about Mary Kingsley. Yum.

I read nearly 50 pages (250 more to go by Wednesday).

Student Senate retreat tomorrow, followed by Jenny's Fall Party in the evening. Mpirg bike ride on Sunday afternoon, homework, and then Pirates of the Caribbean with band friends that night. The next couple days have potential.

1 comment:

Waack said...

You had best not move to Australia. America will be down one intelligent lady.