Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Last Three Weeks, a story of Independence and Adventure

October is definitely autumn. It smells like autumn, and I am even getting excited for winter.

Even though discussion of the weather is the last resort of the unimaginative (Wilde) It feels like a good starting point.

THE WEATHER IS BEAUTIFUL!

We have the windows in our apartment open for air circulation, and it's wonderful because we just cleaned. Now I can use my desk as a desk and not have to DIG to find anything. The apartment is looking really good, especially now that we have more things up on the walls. I am READY, at least domestically for school to really set in.

Oh, but shouldn't it have set in already? Where have I been?

Superficial small talk: I am doing all right in my classes, and I have been meeting lots of people. I say that I've "got the hang of it" but I actually don't know what that means. I know how classes work, and to take my vitamins, but I am not thriving. Or at least I am not living up to my own standards.

My Counselor at CCHP is making me come in and talk to her two weeks in a row... Does blogging about mental issues make me an emo kid? It IS part of my college experience, and the CCHP is a very valuable resource.

Doing School takes a lot of mental energy, and if that energy is scattered or negative success becomes difficult. So I am dealing with it.

That aside, Two weeks ago, I went to the Renaissance with Corinna and stayed the whole weekend. I had a GREAT time. Last week, I went home for the Sticks and Stones art and Cultural event VIII. I worked at the radio station both days, and spent the rest of the time hanging out at the History Center. This year, the headliner bands were Brian Wicklund (a great violinist) and Monroe Crossing (Bluegrass). I also got my face painted, and had a rock carved. I was really busy, but the weekend was fun.

On Sunday night, when I planned on coming back to school, we lost the car keys, and ended up watching Sense and Sensibility. My mother and I left the next morning, and I got to school just as my Monday-Friday alarm went off at 7am.

THIS weekend, I went to the Wilde Roast Cafe, the Mill City Farmers Market, the Cedar Cultural Center and the Unitarian Universalist church.

When I was 14-15, I found the Wilde Roast Cafe's website linked from Outfront Minnesota. I learned all about it. That it is a gay owned restaurant that strives to celebrate the extravegant, and FABULOUS life of Oscar Wilde. For the three years before college, I'd ask to visit every time we came near the cities. Then my first year, when I got on the wrong bus on the way to Codey's, I ended up RIGHT next to it. Still, it took me until now to get there.

I took the bus by myself to the end of the line, and went inside for the very first time. It took me a few moments to realize that I had been waiting for that moment for 5 years, then I couldn't stop smiling. The charming barista gave me my pumpkin pie with extra whipped cream and my "Wilde Carmel" specialty drink and told me that the chairs are PERFECT for studying in. I sat down by the door in a beautiful brocade chair and read about Buddism. (I sat in the chair and knew that I was sitting in the chair, and when I tasted my pumpkin pie with extra whipped cream, I knew that I was tasting my pumpkin pie with extra whipped cream, and when I felt sheer JOY at being in that place, I knew that I was feeling sheer joy at being in that place). Everytime someone came in, I could smell the winter air, and I saw that it was good. I will be back.

When I got back, I went to Anderson where Jenny and some others were playing Mad Gab and Scattagories. I played for a while, and then upon discovery of fire trucks and evacuation of Mort, I walked over to Boulder Court to see what was going on there. An impromtu get together happened, and I ended up hanging out with some really cool people. A couple of whom I hadn't talked to in a long time, and it was fun to discover common ground.

Saturday morning, I woke up early and went to the Mill City Farmers Market with Colin. I invited my Augsem, but no one took the bait. It worked out though. I bought some good smelling soap.

Later, I thought to myself, "I like folk music. I wonder what kind of folk music scene there is in Minneapolis." Turns out that Cedar Riverside is where it is at! I decided to go to a concert at the Cedar Cultural Center. No one who I thought might want to go with me could go with me, so I went by myself. I knew nothing about the performers beyond brief scans of their facebook pages, and I had never been to the Cedar Cultural Center before.

Boy, have I been missing out! That beautiful place has been there all along, and it took me TWO years to get there.

The first band was "The Sunny Era" and I am listening to the Cd that I bought right now... On my music player, the genre says "Rock" but that's not quite accurate. It's gypsy folkish. GREAT! Then it was "The Poor Nobodys" who just released a new cd. I didn't like them as much... and finally, it was the "Brass Messengers," an Eastern European Brass Dance Band. I danced a plenty. SO GREAT!

Then, it just so happens that I sat behind a KFAI dj, who invited me to the studio after the show to take advantage of free pledge drive pizza. KFAI is mostly volunteer, and they said that I could come in and read the news! !!!

Today, I went to the Unitarian church again, and it was good. I would write more, but I am sleepy. Then Erica and I cleaned the apartment, and now I am going to take a nap.

No comments: