Sunday, March 11, 2012

Kathleen Watson

This is a tale of love, and of scorn, that began many years ago.

Many said years ago, I became acquainted with an intriguing honors classmate, Kathleen. Kathleen was in theater; she was extroverted and had the coolest friends. I became her friend, and we'd sit in Crockett's class talking shit about our fellows.

One of them talked too much, so we'd time her.
Kathy was intense, so we mocked her.
Andrew was hot, so we made eyes at him.

As our friendship grew, we did everything together. No clothes basket mountain, or car ride through Seward went unconquered. It served to reason that two fine girls as ourselves would make a fantastic home together.

And we did.

"Isn't it great that we're not dating, so we can never break up?"

And then we broke up. A whole summer of silent resentment, lead to a fall of discontent. Finally, that winter, I fled into the welcoming arms of Erica Malloy and my life took a whole new turn.

Kathleen and I weren't bitter... the relationship just had to end, wounds healed, but I never expected to really get back to the way things were.

And now, years later, we sit together on a porch, singing along to the mix tapes we made each other. We've both changed a lot. I know that I have grown more secure in myself to be comfortable being on my own, which are traits that if lacking, a shy kid fresh from the woods could easily find herself caught up in someone else's world. Kathleen also, I feel has come more strongly into herself, ready to approach life with confidence.

So this is a story of hope and assurance. Time can really change things. Especially time spent in such formative years.

Here's to a friendship renewed!

No comments: