Saturday, March 3, 2012

Small Town Minneapolis

My current Facebook status expresses, "Because college teaches you more than academics."

I post that in answer to my own question of, "Why shouldn't I feel bad about exercising my social energies, going out, networking and meeting people that could some day help provide remarkable opportunities."

Minneapolis is a small town.
I've seen it happen to Visser, when bit by bit the edges of your network expand to envelop more and more circles, until finally, you know everyone.

For example on Wednesday I met a girl named Cate. "Augsburg? Do you know Magdalen?"

"Of course! She's going to let my snake eat her mouse!"

Then, it's always mind blowing when you go on facebook to add your new friends, only to discover you already have 5 friends in common. One guy also on Wednesday got dropped off at Seven Corners. Cameron knows people at Seven Corners, so I said I know people there, and then, upon friend request, I find that Cameron already knows this guy because he's roommates with his friends. AND he knows Kathy, because he met her at a show once.

Thursday, after going to Tracy's with my Philosophy class, I met a successful man at the Acadia. We talked about economics, identity and the world. He gave us a ride in his convertible, and before he left, he said he could hook me up with a job at Sawatdee. That is a good connection to have, especially as I start trying to figure out how to live this summer.

My social energies are running on fumes. I wasn't going to be extroverted yesterday... but...

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE FORUM.

One can't simply hide quietly in her bed while a million socially minded college kids from the Mid-West have gathered in the living room. Ah.

It was good.

I talked to Jacqui yesterday. I said I wasn't worried about my research paper, she laughed at me. ... So today, after I Skype with Colin, I'm going to hit the books with vengeance. ... because College is about academics too.

No comments: