Thursday, April 15, 2010

Alert! Alert!

Sorry about the Giant chicken picture. I don't have time to change it back.

I am in the library writing my Crockett paper. I am pretty sure it has no solid argument whatsoever, but I am kind of having a good time writing it. I have two more pages to go.

I still need to write my Women's History Paper that was due today. It is not even started yet, but I think I know where it's going to go? Maybe?

This Morning at 3:15am I awoke to sirens, and, "Alert! Alert! This is an emergency!" We had to go down 13 flights of stairs after jumping out of bed. When we got into the hallway it smelled like burning plastic. I really enjoyed the experience. It was fun seeing everyone in the stairwell, and then gathered outside. Of course it was pretty scary, but I guess I have been desensitized by fire drills. That's probably a good thing. I used the disruption as an excuse to sleep in.

Yesterday, Erica and I filled a pot she got from the free table with dirt, and put 4 little trees in it. We hope that we can grow them into Bonsai trees.

Here's something from Francis Galton that we read in Crockett's class. It is from, "Statistical Inquiries into the Efficacy of Prayer."

"Of a similar kind is the bitter cry of the hare, when the greyhound is almost upon her; she abandons hope through her own efforts, and screams-but to whom? It is a voice convulsively sent out into space, whose utterance is a physical relief."

He then goes on to be sexist... but we don't have to talk about that.

I just really like it because it's a view on prayer that I hadn't encountered before. The hare who never speaks in it's life cries out to something when death is upon them. Even if you refused to believe any superstition your entire life, would you cry out?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome!!!
this block rocks =)
visit my blog and comment if u want
see u^^