Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Back in room 1304

Well, here I am.

I moved back into my old room with Erica yesterday at three. My mom brought me, and we wheeled everything up on our big wheelie cart in just one trip. It didn't take long to get all my stuff unpacked and organized, then Erica went home for the last week of summer. I spent the evening reading American Gods, eating ramen, and watching Adult Swim. It was nice.

But it is weird, and I am a sensitive girl. I am not HOMESICK, but I really miss my parents. I already called my mom this morning, and my eyes well up just thinking about it.

Meanwhile, I am synthesizing the last 4 months since this was my room. Certain things trigger flashbacks good and weird. It is very comfortable and I do feel like this really is my apartment, not like a squatter, someone Erica found and was kind enough to give shelter.

Yesterday, we noted that many of the people who would come over to hang out in our room moved off campus this year. There will still be a handful of people around to say hi, but not as much as last semester. Plus, even if they are on campus, they are not next door or across the hall like before. Will this mean that we will be able to get more work done???

My biceps are sore from moving things yesterday, which considering all the bricks I moved earlier this summer, is pretty pathetic.

Technically, I am not even here yet. I am not supposed to move in until four o'clock today. Soon, I am going to go down to Res Life and see if maybe they could give me my key, since I am already here, and then I will go shopping. If they won't let me, I am going to stay here killing time. I wish I would have brought my guitar... maybe I can play my trumpet quietly...

I am listening to the Of Montreal that Sara gave me. She said that it's healthy. I like it.

I am not feeling as much like Holden Caufield today. I love that boy, and I don't think he is entirely to blame for my angst... but up until yesterday I was still cursing the phonies of the world. Cursing them all for following the expected routes, going to phony school to get phony degrees, in order to get phony jobs so they can buy big phony cars and houses. Luckily, I think that the Augsburg History and Women's Studies departments are least likely to turn one into a phony. At least not me.

The first thing we learned in Honors 120 was that we should question everything, and that includes academia. With that in mind, I feel better able to approach my college educated future.

So. I think that I have a lot to look forward to this year, and I will keep you posted.


No comments: