Saturday, November 26, 2011

Late November

I've been trying to stand by Jacqui Devries', "You don't have to be working on your paper, as long as you are sitting in front of it" method, to no avail. I feel like back in her days... you know, of oil lamps and type writers (JUST KIDDING, JACQUI!)... she didn't have to deal with the challenges of Tumblr, Twitter and Facebook. So, I can still sit in front of my paper, but it does no good since by the time I am bored with everything else, I am also bored with my computer screen.

I set myself a reasonable goal of SIX pages today. Three for Women's Studies, three for Globalization. If I follow the same pattern tomorrow, with revision on Monday, I will actually have something to show as a rough draft by Tuesday. Of course, that means starting.

Step one: Open Microsoft word.

All right. That much closer.

I got back from Ogilvie last night, changed into my magical black power suit (might warrant a whole post entitled, "Deploying sexuality, employing sexism") and then went to my FIRST non-Augsburg, Non-Renaissance, Non-Taps gig of my musical career.

I played fourth part in the band, "Swing Beat" at the Wabasha Street Caves. Zomgzzzz.

I was the youngest member of the band, but in the old range of the audience. I didn't mess up that much, but I also didn't rock. I want to be Trumpet Andy, moustache and all.

Ooh! And after the first set, the band leader came around with little red tickets that said, "Liquor" on them. With mine, I went to the bar, handed over my ticket and said, "Summit Epa!" and received, for my very own, a delicious, plastic cup of beer, without even a check of my id, 'cause I'm with the band.

I lamented the plastic cup part a bit... something about drinking beer out of a plastic cup in the caves where John Dillinger once lurked kinda killed the mood.

I'm already more of a musician than many of my counterparts could dream, but I want to be a musician!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N70ghC4mxcY
Look, the Brass Messengers! Trumpet Andy talked to me about them, but I was too excited expressing not only my knowledge of their existence, but also my stalking escapades, to hear what his involvement with them was. I almost want to say that he's in this video, but I am pretty sure that's Trumpet Phil.

Andy said that Minneapolis is a great place to be a trumpet player.

((( I WANT TO PLAY TRUMPET!!!)))

No one has contacted me officially about Advent Vespers yet. That's this week. If no one does by Monday, I'm getting my ticket to the Brass Messengers Cd Release party at the Cedar Cultural Center on Saturday. Mom said that she talked to Twan, who knows the drummer (with a Finnish name) and he said that there will be poetry, and dance, and all kinds of festivities. Hell yeah.

I bailed on Duluth. I would have just been rolling in around now. I feel bad, but Jeanne was understanding. She has homework too.

Ok.

Action.

1 comment:

Prince Lily said...

Hey, remember when I said that I was bored with Tumblr? That was before I found, http://fuckyeahmercury.tumblr.com/