Monday, July 21, 2008

Give Me Liberty!

We went to the Henry Ford Museum today, and being a seething history geek I just about ruptured some vital internal organs.

I should try to figure out how to get pictures on here, because I have a picture of myself standing NEXT TO the car that Kennedy was riding when he was shot. What surprized me was that after that Johnson and Nixon went on to ride in the same car. There were also cars ridden in by Eisenhower, Teddy Roosevelt, AND Franklin D. Roosevelt. Do you feel it? Do you feel the Powergasm?

*shudder*

We went on then to an exhibit on America. They had a desk attributed to THOMAS JEFFERSON, A letter written by Benedict Arnold, letters of volunteers into the Continental army, The CHAIR that Lincoln was in the night that he was shot. (Two Morrises signed the Declaration of Independence, Robert, and Lewis. I knew about Robert. It's funny too though that my Uncle's name is Robert Lewis, he obviously had a different father than my daddy... but Robert Lewis... Robert Morris, Lewis Morris... amusing? yes?) That exhibit then morphed into a civil rights display as the history moved into the Civil war and beyond.

Two things that I found especially moving were the KKK costume, and a photograph of civil rights protestors. I've seen pictures, and read stories about the Ku Klux Klan, but never have I been so... close. It was there, and it was probably actually used. I could barely look at it, it made me sick! And the Photograph. It was simple, six or so people all holding hands, a working black man, some black women, a tall white man in a suit, holding hands and singing. Then underneath the picture you could push a button and hear the protest songs. I pushed "We shall overcome." Hearing that, and looking at the picture nearly made me cry.

I went INSIDE the Rosa Parks bus.

There was more on the Women's sufferage movement, but somehow I missed that. I saw some buttons (HOORAY BUTTONS!) featuring the feminist symbol (the female sign, a circle with the cross-thing underneath it, and a fist in the middle) There were also some Lesbian power buttons, but considering my company that was awkward.

At the end there was a freedom wall with post-it notes to write your opinions on things like, "What does freedom mean?" and "What are some threats to freedom?"

In regards to the latter, I read the following:

Barack Obama
Barac
Ignorance
Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama- don't vote 4 them
Democrats

I didn't write anything... I was tempted... oh how I was tempted

Then we ate chocolate and came back to Northville.

Upon returning home I received a delightful TEN PAGE letter in the mail.

Now it's dinner time.

No comments: