Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tourism and Departures

My final day in Michigan is lulling through a quiet afternoon. Claire is napping before she has to go in for a short shift at work, and everyone else is out and about.

The offer was thrown out for me to go to the office with "Jack" today, and I really wanted to, but it would have conflicted with our other plans. Jack is interning for the Joe Knollenberg campaign, he's running for Senate I think. I don't remember if it's state or National. Republican or not I really think it would have been fun to go there. At least I know that I have my own campaigns to get back to when I get home.

I think working with campaigns would be a good thing for me to do. Even though most of it is with volunteers, couldn't I make a career in telling the volunteers what to do? The Camp Wellstone people said that campaigns are the best thing to have on a resume, and you can get jobs real quick that way. I am not exactly where the DFL head quarters are in Minneapolis, but I definitely want to get involved with that while in college. Especially if I end up staying down there in the summer (!) then I could work a sweet waitressing job by night, and work for my cause by day.

Who knows how I'll feel by next summer.

I almost feel that by blogging I am being unfaithful to the boy. Where I used to think, "I can't wait to write to him about this" I now think, "This will be perfect for my blog!" I'll still write him. It's just that now it's almost as if my interpersonal energies are being spread too thin. I remember talking to the counselor, probably the beginning of Senior year, and expressing my feelings of being on my own, and not wanting to burden others with my fickle troubles. Our only conclusion was that I journal. I wrote letters to someone for a while, but when that stopped I went back to Journaling. I've always written to Claire, and then Visser, now Rita and the boy... It feels GOOD to have people to write to, to use as journals, but now the blog? Again, it feels good to have something like this, but knowing that I am baring my soul for a countless number of people, on top of my trusted confidants... IN STEAD of them... What is going to happen? Perhaps the feeling will pass.

Anyway, now that I am done being reflective, I will talk about my day. I am sitting at the kitchen counter, drinking lemonade and just thinking about how wonderful this trip has been, and how sad I am to leave. Back to my real life, which I love, but is so different. Back to work, back to financial aid headaches, awkward roommate phone calls, cleaning, sorting, packing...

I'm going to miss just sitting around sipping lemonade.

Yesterday, Amanda took me and Isabelle to downtown Detroit to visit the Motown museum. I am so thankful that she did that because otherwise I would have just said, "Naw, I'll just hang out here and write letters while Claire works" Which, no doubt would have been pleasant, but I would have missed out on the excitement. Having never seen Detroit up close-while paying attention- simply driving through the neighborhoods was exciting. We drove past block after block of huge old houses, mansions almost, with barred windows, and peeling paint. It was awesome! I imagined the lives that must occur in those houses, I thought of the photographs, the family dinners, the hardships. Even though it was what could be considered a "ghetto" I wanted to be part of those lives.

When we got to the museum, it was simply two houses connected together, and it seemed small. We figured we'd just go in and browse, but after paying our admissions we were directed to a video room, and then we had a guided tour! It was great! I've never been "into" Motown, but how could I ignore Michael Jackson, The Supremes, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Marvin Gaye and the Temptations (Especially as a Radio Dj!)

I've decided that I want to learn more about Stevie Wonder, and Marvin Gaye. Maybe I will write a report on them... not that I ENJOY writing papers... ha.ha.... no... Just... you know... whatever... I watched part of a thing on Marvin Gaye on PBS, or it might have just been on while was doing other things so I know that he was killed at a young age... by his father? At the museum I learned that he was dangerously good looking, and couldn't dance.

After the museum we went to Greek Town and ate at "The Pegasus." I've never had straight up Greek food, nothing more than art fair Gyros and Salads. We ordered a couple platters so we experienced all kinds of food. I especially liked the lamb, as it was very tender. It kind of reminded me of the Jamaican food at Thanksgiving. As I ate it, I imagined that I was a Spartan warrior, camped out around a fire with my fellow soldiers, eating our stewed lamb and rice. Was it Spartan Women that were bad ass? I remember learning about it in History this year, between Athens and Sparta; in one the women were pretty much slaves, and in the other they could beat you up... I'm pretty sure the latter was Sparta. Anyway, that's what I pretended I was.

When Claire got home we went to Birmingham and to an Independent movie theater, where we watched, "Tell No One" a French Film with English Subtitles. Isabelle was in her glory! For once it was US who had to read the subtitles! Though the movie felt long in the middle, it was really good. Isabelle told us that the director is very beautiful, and loved. He was in the movie in a small roll as the pervert son of a rich Horse breeder... There were SO many levels in the film, were it a book, I know that I would be up in the wee hours of the morning, biting my fingernails and freaking out. One of the previews advertised a movie called "Brick Lane" which is based off a book. It is set in India and I want to read it.

Today we went out to Tea. It was delightful. The tea I had was Irish tea, and then I had a bacon and broccoli Quishe, which was delicious. We all tried on cool hats and pretended to be Victorian. I loved it.

I said good bye to Grandma today, and that was sad.

It's so sad that Isabelle is going home, and I am bummed that I have to get ready to go too.

No comments: