Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I have found JOY

Ah what a week it has been!

Election day has to be my favorite holiday, everywhere the spirit and energy is bubbling! I walked to class this morning across the quad, where "Vote" has been chalked on nearly every concrete surface, and while Bob Marley was being played on a boom box. It was beautiful.

This is what I have been waiting for. College. 18. My Vote. Barack Obama.

I am here, now, and this is what it all comes down to.

30 years from now, I'll look at the pictures that Ali took, and I will say, there's me the night that Barack Obama won the presidency of the United States of America. That's what I looked like when I voted for the first time.

Everywhere there is joy. I can't stop smiling. Hugs and kisses, joyful squeals. MY FIRST ELECTION.

This is History, and like the woman Barack spoke about, I could live for another 90 years. What change will I see? What change will I be a part of.

So now I pray that Barack Obama WILL be the leader our country needs, and that he will stay safe. I pray that I will be healthy, and that I will come out of the next 4 years in one, full, intellectual piece. In three years, we'll know the candidates again... and in two I'll be once more working for the local campaigns. It's in times like these that I can see myself being perfectly happy and content working campaigns all my life... we'll see.

I have a lot of hope for my future right now. Earlier this evening, right after Minnesota came in for Obama I called my Grandma in Missouri who was having a democrats only party. We talked about Romania, and imperialism, and she told me how when she talks to her friends, she talks about her grand daughter who is so smart and who could be a lawyer.

Crockett even said that I could be a lawyer...

See? Anything is possible right?

So what I didn't read the Einstein chapters, and am almost two weeks behind in World Politics... I am going to be a lawyer, and Barack Obama is going to be the president!

P.S. While watching Obama's speech in the Urn-Mort Lobby, I sat next to the Woodpecker. I don't assume that any of you are familiar with Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins... but Alan is, so it's worth elaborating.

He had torn blue jeans, and red converse. His shirt was a wild patterned button-up. He wore a hat over RED HAIR, and in his hand was a pack of Camels. I wish I could have said something to him... but I don't know what would have come of it...

Hugs, laughter, joy and kisses.

All is well in South Minneapolis.

No comments: