Saturday, December 6, 2008

Escapist Feminism? Or Relationship Abuse?

Josh Christianson implored that I read an article explaining why Twilight is destroying society. I read the article, and am forced to agree with many of the arguments stated. However, Josh himself claims to have more guilty pleasures than genuine interests, therefore do I not have the right to guilty pleasures as well? Especially as long as I can identify that Bella is a complete moron and that Edward is controlling.

YES! ROMANCE!

What does Ms. Swenson think!?! I must find out...

Last night I had my very first Vespers experience. Brass Chamber played our songs as people walked in, and then we went to the orchestra's set up room and waited for two hours. We played again, and then went home. I enjoyed it, and would like to follow suit tonight, but I have been asked to stay and actually watch the 8 o'clock service. I won't get home until 10, but at least I'll get to see it, and it sounds like it is really cool... I should. Between now and then I need to get dressed, eat food, and do SOME homework. This weekend barely counts as a weekend with Vespers and projects... and then we plunge head on into the week before finals. I am scared, but really happy that it's almost done.

1 comment:

Mnemosyne said...

On Stephenie Meyer's site, she refutes the argument that Twilight is hardcore anti-feminism by saying that not recognizing that it's Bella's choice to be with Edward versus Jacob is in a sense, anti-feminism. I can't say I agree with that, because I agree with you--Edward is a total control freak. But really only for the first two books. Nobody ever gives him enough credit for Breaking Dawn. He offered Bella's uterus to Jake! FTW!
And yes. It's all about the escapist literature. We both know that anybody who climbed in our windows and watched us sleep without our permission would get a serious ass-kicking in the real world. But then again, vampires also don't exist, so the whole comparison is a little silly.