Tuesday, January 27, 2009

20th Century Corporate Values

Since sitting down at my desk I have lost the great ambition I had had to post a wondrous blog.

Instead, I held true to the corporate values of the early 1900s and took to plotting the science and efficiency behind finishing the Odyssey before Thursday.

With 278 pages yet to read, I can divide that into 10 reading sessions, each of 27.8 pages in length. I rounded that to 28, and measured the length of time required to read 28 pages, my result being 34 minutes (with distractions.)

Therefore, it will take me approximately 5 hours to finish my reading, which can be conveniently sized down to 10 simple half hour segments. One hour after breakfast until nine, at which time I will finish the required Flivver King readings that will take me an hour and a half. By that time it will already be ten thirty, and I will be late for my trumpet sectional... Hm... That detail will be more closely examined.

After class, I will have 3 hours and 4o minutes before band which is ample time to read three more segments, and set to work again on the last half of the Flivver King.

Once I have been released from band I will eat dinner until approximately five thirty, when I will break until six. At Six I will read two more segments up to seven o'clock, at which time I will ready myself for the Student Senate meeting. With just an hour and a half left, I will settle in the library reading Odyssey segments between whatever else it is that is required for Women's Studies.

It really is a precise science... And in the time I spent planning it out I could have been sleeping.

I don't like to make it sound like I work too much... but I do.

The pathetic thing is that if I don't follow that schedule to the dot, I will not finish, and that is necessary.

Ah!

Today was, as you probably know, TUESDAY! Regardless of my brain being convinced that it was in fact Wednesday. All my classes were marvelous, and I was alert and chipper after breakfast, and after eating apples at Ali's recommendation. In Women's Studies we had a great discussion about Intersex and what it really means. We also touched on what it means to be transgendered or trans-sexual.

It was beautiful.

In writing we just looked over eachother's rough drafts. I was pretty happy with mine, but whoever did the proofreading was not convinced of my brilliance. They said that the way snakes eat is "creepy" and that learning about how freakin' awesome it is how they move is "unnecessary."

Ha!

Groven's class was a blast as we talked about the SPAA boys... my lovely lovely SPAA boys. Dear Socrates, Dear Plato, Dear Aristotle, and Dearest of all the Resplendent Alexander.

Yes! My precious, darling Alexander III of Macedonia. Alexander the Great.

I smiled like a goon that entire portion.

We also got to learn about Groven's one experience with detention!

From there I drug myself not entirely willing to Jazz band... where I stood, the lone trumpet for five minutes. Luckily, Matt did show up, but two trumpets isn't a very grand number. For once Bob actually had to HEAR me... and he showered me with praises! After practice, while talking to Matt, he pointed to me and said, "She's a good trumpet player!"

With that compliment I feel that I have at least redeemed my failure during my juries... but I still don't feel that it was all that deserved.

The rest of my night was spent studying, except for a trip to the gym. I RAN! Today in anticipation for my work out, I thought, "Well Lily, it has been three weeks of work on the eliptical, and bike machine thing... Three weeks... Do you think you might be able to run a quarter mile without stopping like you had to do in your one season of track?" So, I tried it, and I've decided that the distance measurement MUST be off, because I ran a quarter mile easily, so I went on to do half a mile! Just like my 800 meter days... with out stopping! Granted I didn't GO that fast... but still, something must be up.

The rest of my muscles were too sore for much else.

Now I am here, to bed!

1 comment:

Mnemosyne said...

You really should be keeping record of the things Bob says. They are usually hilarious.
And see? The apples work well. I'm glad they helped.
Your gender-studies class sounds interesting. I wish I could take one!