Sunday, January 25, 2009

Augsburg: My own personal brand of heroine

That Twilight quote just seems the most appropriate. I am in a relationship with college, and if facebook would let me, I'd make it official.

The last two weeks have been the most intense ever, but what is frightening, is that it is still only the beginning! I haven't even had any papers due yet! Regardless, I have been working like I never have before. I wake up every morning (except for weekends) at 7am, I eat breakfast, and go to the library to read before my first classes. All my obligations fit into precise time slots, and if I don't follow, and fill them accordingly, everything is thrown out of whack. And I know that I can't let up at all, or else I will fall hopelessly behind... so instead of pouting about having so much work to do, I just have to keep at it.

Friday was an especially empowering day. I woke up at seven and at 7:07 I went down the hall to brush my teeth. Half way there I realized I didn't have my keys, so I went back to knock on the door. I knocked, even though I didn't really want to wake Soua up, and I felt like I was waking EVERYONE up... I knocked for 20 minutes before I thought, "What if Soua stayed somewhere else last night and I didn't notice?" So I went to DPS, who let me in, only to find Soua soundly asleep. I didn't make an effort to get ready quietly after that, and later when I told her she had absolutely no idea. Aside from that incident, deep sleep is definitely a good quality in a room mate... especially when we both snore.

By the time I left my room for real, it was too late for me to get breakfast, so I went down to the Auggie's nest to work my Senate office hour. Megan wasn't there right away, so I set up my computer and started working on the minutes. Once I was let in, I worked on the minutes long after my hour was up, and then I went to practice my trumpet before the sectional. After the sectional I had class. A wonderfully "mellow" class that felt out of context to my previous schedule. I ate lunch with the "family" and then went to the library.

After getting nice and settled, I checked my augnet to see an email from Lynn, my trumpet teacher saying that I wasn't registered. ACK! I repacked all my supplies and went to the Enrollment center... didn't have a signature... went to Tina, got one from her, came back and was registered. That made me feel powerful because I was solving my own problems...

Back to the library. I finished the minutes! A grand accomplishment, but I was unable to send them, so I read for Groven and Women's Studies. Since it was Friday, I made it a rule for myself NOT to do ANY homework after five.

Ali had offered for me to take pictures at AASA's Lunar New Year show, so at 5 I got a camera from her, ate a hasty dinner and went to east commons to pretend to be Shutterbabe. As it turns out I am a really poor photographer, especially when it comes to moving subject matter. Hm.

I did get some good videos though that will be posted somewhere around the Homemade website.

The show was really great. Soua had been working on it until ridiculous hours for weeks, and now it finally paid off. I am really glad that I went.

When that was all done, I watched tv with Marrta and Lauren, and afterwards I had a time of deep self reflection, which to emphasize the drug to college metaphore made me want to read ahead in Women's studies to drown my angst. I am ok now. I just need to accept that I have to work this hard.

Nothing is more satisfying than crossing things off the lists I am a slave to.

SATURDAY then was relaxing. I slept in, and had a slow morning until Alan picked me up around 5. We went to Macalister to pick up Rye, and then we ate dinner at an Afghani restaurant right off the Macalister campus. It was delicious. From there we went to the Ritz theater for an amazing, AWE INSPIRING show.

It is safe to say that I am a changed woman. :)

I didn't get home until after one, and I stayed up a little longer because Soua had some friends over watching movies. I didn't mind.

Now I am here! Sunday, so back to work. I have Auggie Guide training at three, and until then I am going to be reading.

Blog: Crossed off list :)

No comments: