Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Too busy for History... :(

History is being made, as I am barely catching my breath. One thing after the other, class class class, work work work. In honor of the day, I am wearing my Barack Obama Hope t-shirt, but that is all I can afford... No time.

I signed up to facilitate the next women's studies class because I know I will only get busier as the semester progresses. Plus, I get to do it on the media, which means I can rant about Dave Ryan.

My latest grievance with him is that the other day he said, "Guys, if you have a girl friend, we'll be right back to tell why you need to keep her away from Twilight and Rob Pattinson..."

I am not the biggest fan of Twilight, but it shouldn't be the man's job to keep his girlfriend away from anything! She should be able to do, and especially READ anything she pleases! And if the boyfriend is falling short of Edward Cullen, well, she shouldn't settle.

So there.

I love Women's Studies.
Visser and I watched Thelma and Louise this weekend. From a feminist standpoint it was amazing. I am glad I am taking this class.

This weekend, I sucessfully visited Visser! It was the first time since Halloween, and that is NOT acceptable. We had some GREAT conversations, and being that I am so used to LETTERS in which you pour out a lot, and then wait a week or so, I wasn't used to pouring... and still pouring... all in real time! We watched the first disc of the L word, ate chex mix, talked some more, and stared at her computer screen until about one or two when I drifted from conciousness. After of course realizing that I am only a figment of my own imagination.

Sunday, we went to Ginko's for brunch. In the last 5 years, all my college fantasies have looked like that. There we were, sitting in an independently owned coffee shop, drinking our coffee and vegatarian dishes, discussing life, love, politics, philosophy, drugs and society. It was pure beauty.

After that we watched Thelma and Louise. That was set in 1991, and everything about it made me love everything social, Sociology, Women's studies, anthropology, psychology, History. I watched it from an intellectual stand point. Visser shared my glee.

By the time the movie was done, I had to make the scary walk to the bus stop in the dark. I missed the bus by a minute and waited by myself for twenty more.

Then I got off at the wrong stop, and ended up walking from who knows where in the University Campus, all the way back to Augsburg. I hope that never happens again. I was wiped out.

All social skills were lost until last night. I went crazy.

Now it's back to school! I am happy. Happy, but tired, and terrified.

I'm just going to keep surfing I guess. Not much else I can do, it's not going to let up until April, so why fool myself otherwise!

Barack Obama is our PRESIDENT!

1 comment:

Jennifer Salome said...

I'm really psyched about Women's Studies, too! I've already started reading for Tuesday because I love that class so much. I'm just retarded and never go.
I'm sorry I missed your facilitations.