Friday, March 6, 2009

Chick-a-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee!

When will I learn that when I feel a blog a-tinglin' inside me, I've got to BLOG it, before I go on facebook and have the muse subsequently die?

I'll try to bring it back.

I have just returned to my room. This morning I woke up in time to do my Student Senate Office hour, when I should have worked on the beastly minutes, but instead chatted with a fest friend... then I went to the Financial Aide office and was shown that the FAFSA is not a big scary beast as I have been lead to believe. All I have to do is file my taxes, and it pretty much does itself. Whew!

Also this morning I realized that I CAN GO HOME THIS WEEKEND! Visser and I are going to go to the Fridley Speech Meet, where I will judge, and then I will ride the bus HOME! I will have the rest of Saturday, all of Sunday, and Monday morning with my lovely parents, cat, and dog. Oh! How wonderful!

My window is open, and the blinds drawn up. It is by far the most beautiful day of the year. Yesterday, I was musing on how nice it was, and that was before the sun came out! Now, with each glance out my window, there is more muddy brown earth exposed in Murphey park. After I practiced this morning, it was a struggle to keep myself from falling to my knees in front of Christensen to press my nose to the soil and take a big breath. ... Ah... yes... I can do that tomorrow at home. No one will judge me. :)

Even the breeze wafting through my window is fragrant, and every so often I hear the Chick-a-dees with their "Spring's here" call. Spring time in the city!

In my recent "I like" blog, I mentioned reading. I had forgotten the love that reading and I once shared... and now, with spring arising, our affair is taking on a new flame. I used to read all the time, but when school started last fall... we had a falling out. Reading was too needy, too urgent and demanding... he also became dense and oftentimes boring. No longer did I come to him out of my own free will, and I ceased to enjoy his company.

Now, with "Coming of Age in Mississippi" assigned, and a little more time to read for fun, it feels like the honey-moon all over again. Just this afternoon, after lunch, I read a few articles in the Echo, and the first chapter of "Watchmen."

When Scott found out I hadn't read "Watchmen" yet, he promptly mailed it to me! It came today! I set about reading it, like a task so I can finish it before I see the movie... but then, in the Echo, I read what Collin Stanhill had to say about it, and I now see that I must go about my reading at a different level. I need to pay closer attention to the frames, and even the colors! Mmmmm... Yum.

I really like the Echo. Perhaps I'll get involved next year.

(though I must say that the horoscopes were a bit harsh this time around!)

There is no band today, and there was no History due to the Peace Prize forum, so aside from my tour in a few minutes, I am done for the day. Much more time for reading!

1 comment:

Mnemosyne said...

I'm sure your creative mind will have no trouble catching the beauty of Watchmen's art. I am frequently dazzled by it--the way the text melds with the images--love!