Wednesday, March 4, 2009

March Fo(u)rth!

I am tired. Suddenly. I took a nap before band, so when I got there, it felt really early in the day... then dinner happened, and I want to go to sleep.

History was fun today. I was able to read all that was required. It is a good book we are reading, "Coming of Age in Mississippi." Because it's about growing up poor and black in the rural south, it's quite depressing, but it reads easily. Sitting down to read for 2 and a half hours is nothing!

After class I talked to Professor Lansing about being my academic adviser. It was awkward, but now I am excited. He's an American History Professor who is writing a book about the Non-partisan league. I think it's a pretty good match. I get to keep my honors adviser too. yay!

I also told him about the documentary I started watching last night. After two hours of reading in the library last night, I decided that I wanted to watch a movie. I paged through what the library had, and found one called, "The Weather Underground." I got through the first half before I fell asleep. That's some crazy good stuff.

In the late 60s and 70s there was a student protest organization called "Students for a Democratic Society" and from them came "The Weathermen" (... don't tie no bows, don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows... lookout kid you're gonna get hit...) These students felt that the only way to end violence was to USE violence.

There are actual interviews with the people who were involved. Of course they are all grown up now. My favorite was a man who is a history teacher now. When his students ask what his role was during Vietnam, he has to explain that he was a key member of an underground student organization...

After class I gave blood. This was my third time, and it was a pretty painless experience. I took a nap afterwards, but in band I was a bit light headed.

Then dinner, now I am here, and soon I have to go to the FINAL (if the senators approve it) Student Senate Meeting (Awww.) I will be glad to have wednesdays back, but I am really happy that this happened. I got so much out of it, and met some of the coolest people.

No comments: