Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Jesus was a Hippie

I just wasted a good 10 minutes watching a squirrel in front of Christensen.

As I walked back from the music building, I saw three boys standing in a row staring intently at something. Seeing the squirrel, I walked around it from a distance as to not scare it away. They told me to be careful, that squirrel just killed and ate bird!

No Kidding. I stood around watching it for a while. It couldn't walk normal and was very wobbly, occaissionally it would take a punch at another squirrel, but to no avail.

The remains of the bird-it's head and wings- are still under the plants by the burning bush sculpture.

The squirrel probably has rabies.

~~~

It was weird going back to school today, a Tuesday. Due to the joys of mechanics, I had to take the bus home from Montevideo yesterday, and by the time I got off the light rail and made my way back it was five thirty. So I missed nearly all of my busiest day. I am not upset at all though. The bus ride was very pleasant, and I got to take in much of the beautiful autumn country-side, plus, I got nearly a whole extra day with Josh. I was also caught up in all my classes, so it was no bother at all. Now I just need to get caught up with what I missed.

This morning my alarm went off at 6:40, because I told it to, but later I regretted it. I would have been just fine with getting up at 7:45am... Over a breakfast, that for some reason I was very proud of (Oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar, a piece of coffee cake, a banana, and CAFFEINATED hot cocoa. Pretty freaking awesome) I read the first part of Mark for Religion. Quanbeck had said it would "Only take 2 hours," and he was about right. After an hour of reading, I was about half way done. From this reading, I have come to the conclusion that Jesus was in fact a pretty cool dude.

I don't know why I never came to that before, being raised Lutheran and attending a fair share of bible camps. It simply never struck me why Jesus was so awesome. Maybe it was because everyone shoots right to his crucifixion, and the forgiveness of all our sins, which is something that I squint at questioningly. Looking at it as if for the first time however, and reading it like a story, I was blown away. I mean seriously, raising the dead, healing lepers, making the blind see, feeding thousands, and walking on water?! Not only that but he was just an all out cool guy.

Just like in all the hippie movies I sigh over (Forrest Gump, Hair, Across the Universe...) he just strolled about, loving, healing and telling fun stories, and people just started following him!

"Yo, toll booth guy, everyone hates you, but come me and we'll have a good time!" And the toll booth guy would go!

And my personal favorite- what sinches his hippiness- is that he gave people new names.
Yeah. "Lily" already is a pretty good hippie name, but you know how when you think of stereotype hippies, you think of names like, "Sunflower," "Bumblebee," "Muffin Stuffin'" etc. All right, so here we go, this is what is in my imagination:

A calm, gentle man with long hair, a long robe and sandals. When he talks, it is soothing, and you can't help but be enthralled by it, you become so entranced, you just follow him for no particular reason... Perhaps it's because you need help, want to find the Truth, or just have nothing better to do.

Forrest Gump running across America. Lucy and Jude in Bono's Walrus Hippie bus. Stereotype Guru.

"Simon, my brother?"
"Yes Jesus?"
"I've chosen a new name for you...You seem more of a 'Peter' to me, so I will now call you Peter... Yo James and John... your name right now is SO boring... how do you feel about being called James and John, Men of Thunder?"

You see where I'm coming from?

Anyway, it has appealed to my grieving nostalgia for not being born in the Ninteen forties... but dang, it sounds like the twenties were the place to be!

Well, I am procrastinating. Soon I need to get some real food in my belly (combos and diet pepsi aren't the greatest you know?) and then Plant myself in the Library basement to read and work on my Romania paper until an unpleasant hour... Then I need to do laundry, because you know what? I am going to Texas tomorrow!

Yeah! I've known about it for a while, but I don't think I've expressed it. Tomorrow, Phil, Becky, Jens, Kathleen and I are hopping on a plane for San Antonio TEXAS for an Honor's Conference. I'm pretty excited. If I can I'll blog from the road.

But alas, if I expect not to go insane upon my return, I must get to work.

No comments: