Monday, October 27, 2008

Some have greatness THRUST upon them

The blog is being better advertized these days, and people are approaching me and saying things like, "I read your blog about the squirrel..." Now I feel obligated to be "entertaining."

But I suppose I can't try...

Anyway, I will talk of my Augsburg weekend... and Monday.

Phil, Becki, Jens, Kathleen and I got back to campus Saturday night at around eleven. We all marvelled at the wonders of technology and how just hours ago we'd been in the sun.

Speaking of the sun, I BASKED in it. I even got a little burned on Saturday... and on Sunday, I was watching the snow flurries out side my window...

Just like that, the trip was done. I really liked going to the Honors Conference. Some day I hope to be Phillip. I aspire to fill his shoes, over work myself, and talk in a language that no one can understand, of Kant and Locke, and Existentialims... And of course there is the desire to simply be known... the same desire that fueled my dreams of politics.

We saw the Alamo, and as I have been telling people it was kind of disappointing. Here is this national monument, smack dab in down town San Antonio, all nice and paved with landscaping, and a Ripley's Believe it or Not across the street. It's hard to fully embrace the history in these circumstances...

I also went to the San Antonio Museum of Art which was fun, and then on Friday we went to sessions. Personally, I really enjoyed the sessions. There were some that were sub par, but as a whole, I thought it was a really educational. I was inspired by the rattlesnake presentation to go out Herping some time again, and I learned that Gusav Mahler was not a very nice man. His wife was an amazing composer herself, but he told her that HE was more important, and that HER job was to support HIM and that SHE should stop composing.

Luckily, he died and she went on to have a productive life.

Saturday was relaxed, after lunch, and the final speaker, We layed out on the Sun Deck in 80 degree weather... and then it was Good bye San Antonio.

I really like flying.

All Right, So yesterday I devoted all day to working on my World Politics Paper. By last night, still not finished, I fell into the pits of despair... I printed off what I had and resigned my self to mediocrity... Then, I get to class and find out that the part I was fearing was actually really simple, and that I didn't have to turn it in until FIVE! Joy!

My Birth Certificate came in the mail from my mom today, so I promptly set out to the Hennepin County Government building... I felt very sleek having been there before and knowing exactly where to go. This time I was prepared, and was helped in a very timely fashion. Now, $114.50, and one bad picture later, I'm set to travel!

In Claire's Passport, she said that she couldn't smile, so I wasn't sure that I could smile, and even though the guy said that I could do what ever I wanted to, I settled on an awkward smirk... It makes me look less like Tina Fey and more like Lily Morris...

Lesson, Brass ensemble, band... My playing is sounding better, even though I haven't practiced much at all... and I found out today that in December I have to get juried on my solo!!! EEEK!

After band, a quick dinner, shower, and "singing" Avenue Q songs in my room, it was time for SCHOLAR CITIZEN PLAY PRACTICE! WHOOO!

I was very pumped.

Someone came to help us and we did some work with choreography. We Rock.

On our way back to Christensen I had every intention of hitting the library for a couple hours and doing my History reading, but instead Marrta suggested we go to her room and watch "She's the Man" instead... so that's what She and I and Andrew did... I had never seen it before, and I learned that it was based off of Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night." I am not sure if I should be taken aback at the defacing of Shakespeare... or impressed.

Towards the end they had the greatness quote, and it made me think of Sara because that's her quote in the yearbook... Ah Sara...

Shakespeare!

!!!

I wonder if Ms. Swenson has her poster of him hanging up somewhere! I hope on the door! ... I hope he has someone to talk to... with me gone and all... When I visit I will have to inquire.

Now I am in my dorm on my bed feeling very relaxed, and only a little guilty about not doing anything productive... considering I missed last Thursday I should be scrambling... I'll just tell myself that I needed the break.

And Remember,
Some Men are born great, some men acheive greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

No comments: