Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Red Dye #40

Like a hen drawn to ripe tomatoes, I feel that anything red in color MUST be delicious... particulary Red 40, which I've heard is bad... in fact it might even be a carcinogen. I really like red Tootsie Pops, Cool Aid, Star Bursts, Rockstar, Jolly Ranchers, Skittles, Laffy Taffy, Now and Laters... Red... Today I had a whole bottle of my raspberry flavored off brand Crystal light. It's awesome. (THAT even has aspartame.)

Anyway, I thought I'd share some of the negative effects of Red 40:

Temper tantrums, hyper activity, aggressive behavior, uncontrolable crying, screaming, kicking, nervousness, dizziness, inability to sit still or concentrate. Maybe this is where my problems lie...

Of course, these are all symptoms observed in children, so maybe as a young adult I am exempt.

That aside, it is late and I must go to bed if I plan on waking up early tomorrow. I didn't study for the quiz, and I didn't print off the questions on Einstein.

Our study group consisting of me, Jenny, Sarah and Andrew was highly uneffective. I read TWO pages in my International Relations book. TWO! Though we were able to cover a wide range of topics unrelated to our studies AT ALL! It got a good laugh out of me though... Yesterday too. I noticed when I was home on Sara's floor, it was the first time I really fully all out laughed, and since then it's come easier. YESTERDAY in scholar Citizen Theater Lab I laughed until I cried, and today while studying... I am happy that I can laugh again.

Earlier, I went to Jenny's room and listened to Jonathan Delehanty and colored. THAT was a beneficial experience. I am feeling good. This morning I slept in really late because we had no Christian Vocation class... but it turned out that I slept TOO late and didn't get anything done. It still made me feel good. When I was home my mom pointed out how I see time differently now. One hour is not "A whole hour" it's "Just an hour." I measure time in the amount of work I could get done, not in the actual time that passes. So in that I feel lame... Coloring killed time too, but it was healthy.

I also went to John Bul Dau's speech, which was awesome, but I am not going to elaborate because I am not wearing my glasses and my brain is tired.

May the Force be with You.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that adults are not exempt from the harmful effects of red dye. Here are some of the results from studies on dyes: DNA damage, reproductive damage, neurobehavioral toxicity, breast cancer, as well as things like headaches, hives, and asthma. You can learn more at www.diet-studies.com.
Have you seen how beautiful natural food colorings can be? There are delicious and very attractive lollipops, jelly beans, gummy bears, fruit drinks (that are actually made from fruit). If you have a Trader Joe's nearby they have both a strawberry drink and cherry cider that is natural and delicious.