Sunday, February 8, 2009

Epic Starling

I face a predicament. Do I leave the waning sunshine for the recesses of the library, solely for the sake of productivity? Superego says yes. Yes, get your butt away from the comfy couches and windows and over to a hard chair and table where you can read Rauchway by artificial light. Countering this argument is my grey bunny of an id saying, no. You haven't been able to experience much warm sunshine lately, and it's probably really good for you. So what that you fell asleep, you needed it! How do you expect to get anything done if you have no energy? And how will you feel when the sun goes away? You will feel that you wasted a perfectly beautiful experience.

So, here I sit. Third floor of the library by the big windows soaking up lovely sun rays. I read some of Rauchway, so I'm not a complete bum, there is much more to be done, but... The sunshine will be gone before too long.

You may remember that poetry book that I've mentioned, in which it informs readers to make their own names using words they think are cool. The first name that I created was "Sanguine Moon Monster" to represent the deep thinking angst ridden self at 3 o'clock in the morning. The other day I thought that "Epic" would be an unfortunate, yet interesting name, and was surprised that there haven't been children named that. Then just now I was thinking of those poor baby starlings in that roof, and decided that "starling" is a very pretty word. Even if it is the name of an invasive and obnoxious species.

So, say hello to Epic Starling. This is my rock star, super powerful, I could bench press a moose ego. Though, considering I have spent the last hour and a half lounging in the sun, I don't know if that is very appropriate.

I am sad that the weekend is already past. It was nice though. Yesterday, Visser came over for brunch, and we walked to Hard Times. She had never been there before, and has now declared that she wants to become a regular. It is a really neat place. We sat for a nice chunk of time discussing astrology and eating a black berry walnut muffin. When Visser left, I had to go to the Leadership Conference, which was really enjoyable. I like Conferences. There was a key note speaker, and then we had break out sessions. I attended those on Women's Sufferage, Social Justice, and The Leadership Wheel.

The leadership wheel was quite fun. We took personality tests and figured out what our leadership style was. Because I am prone to busyness, and micromanagement, I am a Warrior. My strengths include courage, and integrity, and I am very goal oriented. The other girl who was a warrior and I shared a love for lists and organization as well. I never would have thought that I would become THIS extreme. I knew that I would have to develop better habits in college, but goodness!

On a whim, Jenny and I went to see Milk at Block E. I cried and cried and cried, thought that doesn't take much. I love that movie. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

We had planned on going to Too Much Love that night too, but by the time I got back from Milk, I was pretty worn out, and I knew I had to wake up early. I still feel bad for bailing on Jenny.

I had to wake up early because the Jazz band had a run this morning. Two services at Chaz's church in... Bloomington. As always, it was fun, and especially good because they fed us. After getting back, I had a plan to read Rauchway and write papers... but... it has been 3 hours, and I have yet to accomplish much.

At least the sun is going down now. I won't feel as bad for deserting it for the dark inner library.

No comments: