Wednesday, February 4, 2009

On the Fast Track

It is amazing how much extra time you have if you simply stop eating.

Don't tell my Mom, because I am certain she would disapprove, but I have decided to fast. :) I will assure you that it is not because I think I need to lose weight, or anything like that, just thought it would be fun to try fasting. Online, it says that a typical juice fast lasts 30 days, and a water fast 10. When they say "Juice" I think they mean the kind where you actually take whole fruit and juice it yourself... At Perkins last night eating deep fried, fried food with eggs and gravy on top, Kathleen and I decided that now would be a good time to start our fast. We bought jugs of Cranberry juice (the store kind that's probably just sugar water) and gum, and were on our way. I think Kathleen has already bailed.

In the summer, especially when Polichick is at large, I often forget to eat for a day or more... it just happens. Here, I have made it a point to have food in my schedule. Real food. I even make sure to get veggies when they're offered at the Cafeteria. ... I have been meaning to make and eat a real salad too... but not today.

I haven't seen her, but I think Marrta's in on it too. It reminds me of the 30 hour famine, especially the Cool Mint flavored chewing gum.

I don't think I am going to try to make it last any more than a day. I am pretty sure my Dad heard some where that some people routinely fast one day a week to cleanse their systems. That makes sense. Perhaps that is why it is even in the Bible! Until tomorrow though, Lots and lots of juice.

Ok. So I started a blog yesterday, until I realized that I am boring. It's looking better today.

Michael Lansing Lectured in class today. Honestly, I think I prefer lectures to interactive days. Discussion is great, and I like that too, but I also really like just sitting there taking in all that information. We learned about Hoover, and FDR, the Bonus Army, Communists, the AAA, CCC, NRA and FDIC, Labor Unions... the Teamster Strike in Minneapolis!?!?! HOLY COW! In the 30s, Minneapolis wasn't very Union friendly, but at the same time was considered a Trotskyite hot bed. Roar!

Floyd B. Olson! Wow Man. Wow.

Before Class, I went to the Financial Aid Offices, and got my game plan figured out. Augsburg is great. I hate thinking about money, and usually when bills come I pretend they don't exist, until it becomes really apparent that they do exist and I freak out... well, I handled it today. I actually got to have a sit down meeting with an advisor, and she told me everything that was happening, and what I needed to do. All is well.

After my Trumpet lesson I stopped by Memorial Hall to visit Professor Gus. He was meeting with a student, but I still got to say hi, and how I pretended to be Ivan Denisovitch over break.

These things make me really proud to be an Auggie. I don't think that many other schools can boast an experience as simple as that.

No comments: