Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Oh what a beautiful Morning, Oh what a beautiful Day...

...Oh what a beautiful FEEEEEEELING! Everything's going my way!

I don't know the rest of the words, but that has been the chorus in my head ALL day. This day was good from the start. Every bit. I showered last night so I was clean, I woke up on time even after hitting the dismiss button on my alarm, and got to breakfast in time to eat before 8. At first I sat by myself, but then Jake beckoned me over to sit with him and his room mate, who also wakes up early. It was really cool. I kept up with my regular morning routine, and went to the library where I "finished" my writing draft on light rail expansion, and then I went to Women's Studies.

There was definitely a bounce in my step as I hummed to myself and reflected upon the immense personal accomplishment of last night.

It could be argued that it wasn't a big deal, and that I am just really obsessive... but... dangit, it was an accomplishment.

SO. Women's Studies. Jenny was there before me (!) and we sat in the front row to watch "Wrestling with Manhood," A documentary on WWE. I hadn't really been looking forward to it, because I was more excited about the other movies like, "Kissing Jessica Stein."

Wrestling Entertainment is AWFUL. I am not going to go into detail, because that is what the Thursday discussions are for, but I want to express how sickened I am. I am sickened by the rampant heterosexuality, dominance as sign of manliness, homophobia, and the degradation of women. What is worse than all of those things however, is the audience. The people who put millions of dollars each year towards this "foundation" because they find it "fun." FUN. They claim that it's ok because it's not real, but the fact that they find that kind of behavior entertaining is simply wrong.

One of the quotes that inflamed me especially was from a man who thinks it's ok to let his young daughter watch men beat up on women, "Welcome to the real world" he said.

A real world where women "get what they deserve?" I don't think so.

Not my world.

Needless to say, that was definitely a downer in my day. I went to a library study room and listened to Ani DiFranco to recover. Then I sent out the Senate minutes. On a roll.

Classes went smoothly, and I ate dinner with a fragment of the family. Then, in a last ditch effort to procrastinate, I went with Kevin and Jared down to the Auggies nest to print something off. I forgot to blog about Kevin the last time I told him I was going to blog about him... So, Kevin. I bailed on his hair dying party the other day, and now his hair is dyed. It looks SWEET. He and his people got their "Riverside Explorers" special interest floor house in Anderson. Congratulations! Aaaand... Kevin is cool. Hoooray!

Now I am off to the Honors Suite to read. I am NOT bringing lovely Dante with me though. If I don't NEED a computer, the only other purpose it would have would be to go on facebook, and that would get nothing done. Up, Up, and AWAY!

2 comments:

Mnemosyne said...

LOL.
I've got a pal (<3 my pal!) that would love to be a "professional wrestler."
I secretly make fun of his dream whenever I think of it.
Also, please don't judge him. He's not a bad person. :)
Lastly, good call on not bringing your compy to the Suite. I wish I had that will-power.

Jennifer Salome said...

i was totally there before you, and it felt awesome.

the freaking video left me so angry. i still haven't talked to my dad about it. when i talked to my mom, she sounded pretty over it and she didn't care.
wtf.
<3