Friday, September 12, 2008

I'll give you this poster for free if...

"If you can tell me what Freddie Mercury's real name is," the poster salesman said as he pointed to the divine figure in the center of the Bohemian Rhapsody pose.

Shamelessly, and without skipping a beat I replied with the correct answer. There was almost an air of confusion in my voice as to why that would be a free poster warranting question.

"What?" He asked, surprized.

I repeated myself, "That's right, I know my Queen."
"Do you have all of their albums?"
"No..." I said sadly, "But my hours of studying Queen trivia have finally paid off, you made my day."

Note that I am not going to tell you what Freddie Mercury's real name is. I am not going to let you steal my glory THAT easily.

How terrible this day would have been had he asked a question that I would have frozen up on! I don't know what he could POSSIBLY have said... but to stumble in the face of Queen Trivia??? It would be the end of me.

And that is how I got two posters for the price of one. Saving most of the money my grandmother sent me. (I had felt bad spending it on posters...)

Along side "Imagine" now, above my bed is a beautiful picture of Bob Dylan, wearing sunglasses behind a music stand and a microphone. (Want to know HIS real name? Huh? Shhhh! It's Robert Zimmerman, and you know where the "Dylan" comes from? Dylan Thomas, the Irish poet! Keep this on the dl, I don't want it to get out that I give away free trivia just like that!")

Above the head end of my bed now hangs the almost cliche Bohemian Rhapsody picture. All the sweeter because it was free.

My room's a mess. At least my part of the room. I haven't made my bed in two days, and my clothes are scattered all over the floor. It's starting to look more like home. :D

THis morning my alarm went off at six forty five. I got up and got half dressed, then went back to bed until SEVEN FORTY! After my World Politics class I came back and went to sleep again, and now I REALLY don't remember much of that class. It is going to be awful. Why was it so easy for me to pay attention in high school? Why is my mind anywhere but academics here?

Marrta chatised me for my intentions of going back to sleep... I probably shouldn't. I should probably start plowing through "The Great Train Robbery." I read "A Time to Kill" for law in a month... and now because I didn't start until today, I've got an equally long novel to complete by the 23rd. I can do it. I still have a bit of work to do... a LOT of reading... but hey! It's the weekend!

"What's one thing you've learned so far at Augsburg?"
"To do the reading when they tell you to."

Take you're own advice Silly!


No comments: