Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My First College Tuesday

Free time is hard to find in college!

It's only Tuesday, but it feels like a weekend. I've slept in, and now I'm sitting dressed as comfortably as possible, being responsible while I wait for my 1:30pm class. Marrta had her class at eleven today, and I'm really worried that for some reason my schedule is wrong. I don't remember her being in my Christian Vocation class... so maybe everything is ok... but just two classes today? THAT feels wrong.

Good classes though, Christian Vocation and the Search for Meaning and The Modern World, both of which classes that I have really enjoyed so far.

I finished writing my life Canon for the Honors Course today (Christian Vocation...) and it's something like three pages double spaced. That MUST be too long. Our instruction wasn't very specific, so I just went with it, The Hobbit to Shutterbabe, it's all there!

Today is going to be productive, I know it will be. After I blog I am going to change into something more presentable, and find a quiet, safe place to read and study. My room is too distracting, particularily because it has a computer that connects to Facebook, and a bed that promotes "power naps" that range anywhere from twenty minutes to three hours... SO... I think I am going to test out the Honor's lounge, only Alison warned me once that falling asleep on one of the big squishy couches is a very likely danger. Then, after my classes, I'll need to continue studying, and finishing up on the classes that I am behind on.

Just the Scholar Citizen really. I'm pretty sure the Professor is speaking English but it's hard to tell. Even though he, and my mother plead to "ASK QUESTIONS!" I don't even know where to begin! It will help when I read what I'm supposed to. So much to read, Twilight is back on the shelf. ... Oh well.

Now, being that I haven't blogged in a while, I will travel slowly backwards in time.

YESTERDAY, was Monday. I was Super tired from my sleep deprived weekend and had a couple embarassing head nods in the front row of my World Politics Class. Then I was lost in Scholar Citizen. Marrta disapproves, but I slept graciously yesterday until I peeled myself out of bed for Band. Band is going to be good this year, and I am especially excited for Romania. Bob Stacke actually talked about the concentration camp-like orphanages, and it made me happy to hear that Romania is coming out of that now-Since Shutterbabe was there.

After band there was no time for dinner, but luckily there was food at the Medieval Studies meeting. I don't know if I want to major in Medieval Studies, and I do know that I LOVE Medieval History... at least I remember a time when I did. I don't know where my passions are anymore. I blame the thorough social exhaustion that I am experiencing. My hope is that I will join speech and remember that I really do have skills, and that will begin showing everywhere else.

That sounds like a bummer... and it kind of is.

When we were let out of our Scholar Citizen lab (which was fun!) Marrta and I walked to the Gas station across from Parking lot L to get Mountain Dew. We laughed at the fact that at a gas station across from a college campus, they only sell mountain dew in cases of 36. We bought a case and each took 18 cans. I am going to be purely SICK of Mountain Dew... and noodles... *sigh

I called my mom and we talked for a while. I miss home, but my weekend in Montevideo helped to quench my need for a rural environment.

Finally going back to Thursday, it was the last day of the Republican National Convention, we HAD to experience it. Ben got a schedule printed off to St. Paul, but we ended up waiting at a deserted bus stop for at least half an hour until we just decided to take the light rail to down town to catch the bus to St. Paul. I had been warned by many that bus drivers are angry and can not be trusted. This is true. Don't trust them to be helpful or nice especially on your first ride when you don't know what you're doing.

We got to St. Paul and the excitement seemed to be disappating. It was still intense as multiple helicopters cirlcled above us and lines of swat teams in riot gear marched the streets. I guess only about half an hour before we got there there was a huge demonstration where people got tear gassed and the whole shebang. We walked around feeling scared for a while, got as close as we could to the Excel center, and then barely made the 16 bus back to Minneapolis.

It was a really awesome experience.

Now, I just need to resist the urge to eat peanut m&ms for lunch and actually go get food... all by myself.

THEN, it's back to being productive.

No comments: