Monday, April 20, 2009

First Year is a State of Mind

Justify FullI didn't blog much last week.

It's past my bed time on Monday night, and I am in the Laundry room waiting for my clothes to dry. Marrta was going to come down here too, but I guess the defense meeting went longer than expected. I bet she is absolutely thrilled.

Our case is done, but I think at this point I would have really stopped caring.

Because I have so much to do, I have been slowly chipping away at it all. I read tomorrow's Women's Studies, typed half a lousy paper, and continued to list things from my History Notes. Tomorrow is already Tuesday. ... If I keep a good pace, and don't let laziness have its way I will be all right... If I do succumb to such evil habits, then I might not get out of this unscathed.

I am not worrying though.

The year is coming to a close, and I am in a very good place. I've come a long way since this time last year. This last weekend was the State Speech Tournament, meaning that it was one year ago, that I was there. That I met Josh. I like to have a reference like that, because it makes it all easier to be put in perspective.

In my insecurity, I lamented at being a first year, and I was told that First year is a state of mind. I feel that I will forever be full of wonder and awe at being here. I hope that the world to me will keep its sense of newness, but is that what distinguishes First Year status?

I guess not.

Again, may I emphasize that this weekend was amazing. Finally a weekend worth remembering. Worth sharing. A far cry from sleeping till noon because there's nothing else to do, and whining about homework the rest of the time.

Last weekend was really good too... but for different reasons.

I am coming out of my shell. Shedding my skin. "Becoming who I am..." I know that I still have a long way to go, but at least now I am accepting my own ways of dealing with things. My next step is to lose this mystery insecurity.

Saturday night, We finally got to shoot the quote for Colin's documentary... and now as I look back and analyze it, I find a dozen ways to have done it better... but that's in the past. Later, I went with that group to the Best Worst Movie at the Uptown Theater: a midnight showing of Troll 2. Featuring not a single Troll! (Even better, Goblins that turn you into plants so as to EAT YOU!)

In place of Trolls, it featured some steamy corn and a double decker bologna sandwich of DOOM.

When the film was done, there was a game of Plinko Apocalypse, and Fred won a bottle of cleaner. None of us were left out though, because as we left we ALL got prizes. I got an AWESOME plastic Stegosaurus that I am very proud of.

I love sleeping in until noon after earned it the night before.

Today, I plunged into the final real Monday of the Semester. Final. As mentioned before, I have a lot to accomplish, but I have every intention of doing it all. Then finals. Then ROMANIA!

No comments: