Friday, April 10, 2009

I am dreaming

Happy:

M&Ms
Online Streaming of KVSC 88.1fm
Knowing that I will not have to work at a restaurant this summer.

I had my job interview today. Last week I talked to Cacy about my summer job dilemma, and the other issues surrounding staying on campus. She suggested that I search non-profit jobs, so I did. One near the top was the Fund for the public Interest. I investigated. It's a non profit campaign organization that works with other groups like the Sierra Club and the Campaign for Human Rights. I applied, and began dreaming of the possibilities... then I read the responsibilities and got intimidated. I accepted that even if I got the job, I wouldn't have to take it if it didn't feel right. Until I hopped on Marrta's bike with my sunglasses and rolled up pants.

I got to Dinky town in 15 minutes, cruising down the bike lanes like nothing. Since I left at 10, I got there plenty early, and hung out in a waiting room. The building looks like it could have been around in the 60s, or even earlier. The walls are off white, and all the doors are wooden with simple door knobs. As I sat in the waiting room with the vending machines, I pretended it was 1972. A little before eleven, I found the room I was supposed to go to, and listened to the main guy's spiel about the program. Then I filled out the application form and waited to be interviewed.

In the interview, I told him about my experience with the Tim Faust Campaign, and like nothing, he told me to show up on May 25th. Just like that. The job almost sounds too good to be true. Phone banking and door knocking, decent pay, a great cause and like minded people? Am I dreaming? Are you telling me that I get to live in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in an apartment with 3 other amazing people, reading and drawing, riding my bike to work at the U and make money to support myself and pay for college?

Growing up is starting to look a lot better.

No restaurants.
And the resume! How great will this be when I apply for real jobs in the real world?

Kathleen and I are taking Lauren to the Mall later, and then I am going to be pretentious with Fred.

As for now?
Guess what.
I am going to do homework!

1 comment:

Mnemosyne said...

おめでとう!
Congratulations, Lily!