Saturday, August 9, 2008

I'm a Partisan!

I'm tired.

I must have done something today.

I DID!

I was super excited all day yesterday, and then this morning I woke up at eight, took a quick shower and trooped off to Mora. I then rode with Tim Faust to Sandstone for the Quarry Days Parade. I was there to support Tim Faust in his House run, as well as the other DFL candidates in the area. Our float was better than Judy Soderstom's... tee hee. We had lots of red white and blue, some flags, stickers and candy, but Judy had more people with her, so they had more people passing out stickers.

Besides Tony Lourey's son, and some real young-uns, I was the youngest there. People are always saying how great it is for the young people to be out helping like that. I had a great conversation about gay rights, the war, China and many other things with a lady, and I told her that she would really like Shutterbabe, and was going to write it down for her, but after the parade we all went our separate ways.

I MET TOMASIN FRANKEN!

Yes. She was there for the parade representing her father. I've actually met Al Franken himself, but at that time, I didn't really comprehend the magnitude of his prescence. This time, just seeing his daughter, I was grinning ear to ear, thinking, "This girl knows Al Franken... AL FRANKEN... SnL writer, Author of the book I'm reading... CANDIDATE FOR U.S. SENATE... breathe Lily... breathe... whoo..." I hope that when I have children they will march in small town parades for me.

The parade was short, and fun. At first I was really nervous, but that was in vain. I guess not everyone is as partisan as me. MOST people don't have a clue. One guy told me that I was on the wrong side, and that I should be a republican, I laughed and said, "NOooo."

When the parade was done, my day was just beginning! Tim and I left right away, and went off to Pine City, where we met up with Sam, and a whole posse of interns from Duluth to door knock. Because there were so many of us, I was able to split a walk list with Sam, which was fantastic because I've only door-knocked one and a half times, and on both of those occaisions I felt as if I was doing everything terribly wrong, even though I was assured I was doing fine. I accompanied Sam at a couple doors, and I realized that I was pretty close. We split the list into even and odd numbered houses, that way we would still kind of be together, and finish the streets really fast. Everything went smoothly, and even the Strong Republicans were friendly to me. (One of the interns had doors slammed in their face!) I was even properly hydrated this time! We finished around 3ish, and I had made it to ALL of my doors. The group of Duluth boys all took off for Rush City right away, Sam went off to do something else, and Tim and I, and the Duluth Girls got pizza at the "Pizza Pub" (We went there for all conference band once!) We got the biggest pizza I've ever seen in my life. Twenty Eight Inches!

MOm wants the computer now, so I am going to get off. I work tonight, and I am contemplating whether I should shower...

Megan and I are going to St. Cloud tomorrow for some school shopping. I'm excited.

No comments: